No software from Gotek System was used or reversed to make this new firmware. Informations and softwares on this page are provided in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. The author will not be held liable for any loss, damage or failure or any incident related to the use of this software and informations. It’s not a commercial work and had been done at my free time so don’t expect instant support or warranty. The informations and softwares provided on this page can’t be sold directly or indirectly into a preflashed device.
A special boot ADF file allows to select the game or demo to start.
The Gotek Floppy emulator working on an Amiga 600 running the State Of The Art Demo :
Actual main features of this firmware :
– USB Key support.
– FAT12,FAT16 & FAT32 support, Subfolder support.
– Amiga software to select the ADF files on the USB key.
– Tested on A500 & A600. Should work on all Amiga.
HOW TO USE IT ?
This is quite simple : You have just to copy all your favourite ADF files on the USB Key.
30 999 images (position 001 up to 030 999 on the 7-segments display). By this way multi-disks games can be played without problem.
WHERE TO GET THIS EMULATOR ?
For reference i got the drive for 24.5Euros/33$ (Shipping included) on Ebay (Link to the Ebay page here)
OK I HAVE THE EMULATOR, HOW TO « TRANSFORM » IT ?
To do this you need :
- Any serial RS232<>3.3V TTL adapter or USB to serial cable. I used an FTDI TTL-232R-3V3, but anything providing a 3,3V signal level is ok. TX & RX support is enough to reflash the MCU (no hardware handshake needed) . ( Some places to get this kind of cable : https://www.adafruit.com/products/954 , ebay 1 , ebay 2 )
(EDIT : Since the STM32 serial port pins are 5V tolerant, a 5V version of the cable/adapter should be fine too.)
- The STMicroelectonics Flash loader software : stsw-mcu005.zip (Click on the download button)
– Connect BOOT0 to 3.3V : This will put the device in programming mode at power up.
– Connect TX to the RX wire of the 3.3V serial cable.
– Connect RX to the TX wire of the 3.3V serial cable.
– Connect VSS to the ground wire of the serial cable.
– Connect the 5V to a 5V source. I just used the 5V coming from the FTDI cable.
Also to make sure that your serial adapter is working correctly, you can try a loopback test : use a terminal software and connect the rx & tx wires of the adapter together : if you get an echo of what you send to the terminal, the loopback test is working !
Since the Gotek firmware is protected against the read, the software ask you to remove the protections. This will erase the flash and the firmware shipped with the device will be lost. Please note that this operation cannot be reverted !
Don’t forget to move the jumper to the « S0 » position to replace DF0.
NOTE (21/12/17) : The drive can also be flashed with an usb cable. I will describe this method soon.
BUT HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE ? TELL ME MORE ! WHAT IS INSIDE THESE DRIVES ?
Regarding the firmware, less than the half of the Flash space is actually used.
Here is the schematic of the Gotek drive :
FULL RESOLUTION SCHEMATIC HERE.
PCB – TOP side
FULL RESOLUTION TOP PCB HERE.
PCB – BOTTOM side
FULL RESOLUTION BOTTOM PCB HERE.
Inside the BOX :
FULL RESOLUTION HERE.
I WANT TO SEE THE DRIVE WORKING !
Ok, here is some pictures :
– The STMicroelectonics Flash loader software : stsw-mcu005.zip
1.01a 2K14/02/15 – Interrupts priorities changed, I/O latency reduced -> Better stability.
1.02a 2K14/02/15 – I/O latency reduced (again).
1.03a 2K14/03/02 – Up to 999 images pre-selection support, some graphicals glitches corrected, keyboard delay is now timer driven, Amiga MFM encoding corrected, Index timing corrected, track length corrected, disk change delay set to 4seconds, Firmware version printed at startup.
Note : Both selector.adf and firmware need to be updated !
1.04a 2K14/03/05 – 2 digits/74HC164 based 7 segments display support added. 4 seconds disk change delay disabled at power up and at the selector exit.
1.04b 2K14/03/08 Selector.adf update : Floppy Emulator auto-detection : Can now control the emulator on DF0/DF1/DF2/DF3…
1.05a 2K14/03/30 Selection problem with fast machines corrected, archive flag issue corrected, Spurious track step workaround added, Fast forward image selection : keep the button pressed to speed up the increment/decrement. Press both buttons to jump to the selector.adf / « 000 » image.
2K17/12/21 : New alternate file selector available : SELECTOR.ADF (From the HxC project)
Copyright (C) 2013-2018 Hervé Messinger.